• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Canada

Egyptian courts clear Mohammad Mahjoub’s name

by Justice for Mahjoub Network
December 11, 2012
Reading Time: 3min read

Mohammad Mahjoub speaking to the media in April 2012.

Mohammad Mahjoub speaking to the media in April 2012.
Mohammad Mahjoub speaking to the media in April 2012.

Toronto-Egyptian courts have overturned a military tribunal conviction against Mohammad Mahjoub from the Mubarak era that was long the centre-piece of the case against him in Canada.

“This is tremendous news,” said a beaming Mr. Mahjoub. “After 13 years my name is finally cleared from these false accusations. Now there are no charges and no convictions against me anywhere in the world.”

The groundwork for the acquittal was laid by the interim council, the SCAF, which assumed control of Egypt after the fall of Mubarak and prior to the recent elections. One of its first moves was legal reform, repealing a series of repressive laws which had allowed Mubarak to rule the country with an iron fist. In May 2012, a law which Mubarak used to refer civil cases to military tribunals was repealed, opening the door for an appeal in Mr. Mahjoub’s case. On 20 November 2012, an Egyptian appeal court acquitted Mr. Mahjoub.

The judgement acquitting Mr. Mahjoub cites four grounds: use of information obtained under torture; lack of jurisdiction of a military tribunal over civil matters (pursuant to the 2012 legal reforms); a 2001 Supreme Court ruling that part of the Penal Code, under which Mr Mahjoub was charged, was unconstitutional; and illegal reliance on security intelligence files as evidence.

“What will this mean for the case against him in Canada? The case is now like a train rolling along the tracks on its own momentum, with the engine cut out. We can only hope that this will finally blow a hole in the case that will be too obvious for anyone to continue to ignore.” said Mary Foster, of the Justice for Mahjoub Network.

The Egyptian conviction was used against Mr. Mahjoub by Canadian media and government until a key Federal Court ruling in 2010 finally recognized that it was based on a confession obtained under torture.

However, Mr. Mahjoub’s lawyers believe that the information used to obtain the Egyptian conviction and the secret information that Canada continues to rely on in the security certificate case are largely the same. Under a security certificate, this information is not disclosed to the person named in the certificate, but a court summary of secret government documents obtained by Mr. Mahjoub’s lawyers in 2011 corroborates this belief, noting that, on CSIS’s own assessment, the bulk of information in Mr. Mahjoub’s case comes from agencies associated with torture. This is thought to refer to the Egyptian security intelligence, with whom CSIS shares intelligence.

Mr. Mahjoub was convicted in Egypt in a high profile show trial in 1999 known as the “Returnees from Albania” case, in which 107 dissidents were convicted by a military tribunal in the space of a few days. In three prior sets of acquittals in the Returnees of Albania case, issued in the spring of this year, the appeals court found that a confession used against Mr. Mahjoub – in fact, the sole evidence against him – had been obtained under torture. Egyptian lawyer Magdy Salem provided important testimony about the torture of this witness in Mr. Mahjoub’s security certificate case this past September.

Mr. Mahjoub will be in Federal Court today in Toronto for his biannual detention review. Yesterday, his lawyers wrapped up a major motion asking the court to permanently stop proceedings against him because of the use of information obtained under torture, the destruction of evidence, systematic breach of soliticor-client privilege, use of secret evidence, and a host of other illegal and abusive moves on the part of the government. Mr. Mahjoub was arrested in June 2000 under an immigration security certificate, which allows the government to detain immigrants without charge, indefinitely. The Federal Court has not yet decided on the validity of the certificate, after 12 and a half years.

Send

Related Posts

Palestine

Photos: Palestinian beekeeper resumes work amid Israeli destruction of Gaza Strip

August 17, 2026

This is the latest dispatch from Rizek Abdel Jawad, a photojournalist based in Gaza City who frequently contributes to the NB Media...

Greenland issues ‘strong warning’ after Texas oil company’s activity triggers annexation fears
Energy

Greenland issues ‘strong warning’ after Texas oil company’s activity triggers annexation fears

August 14, 2026

The Greenland government has issued a “strong warning” after a U.S. oil company with ties to Donald Trump moved drilling...

Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]
Indigenous

Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]

August 14, 2026

The Canadian government recently invited people to share their feedback about proposed changes to the federal “additions to reserve policy,"...

Anti-LGBTQ+ hatred online does not represent all New Brunswickers
Gender

Anti-LGBTQ+ hatred online does not represent all New Brunswickers

August 12, 2026

Since joining the New Brunswick Refugee Clinic, I’ve been sharing some personal reflections about refugees, newcomers and what it means...

Load More

Recommended

Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]

Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]

4 days ago
Anti-LGBTQ+ hatred online does not represent all New Brunswickers

Anti-LGBTQ+ hatred online does not represent all New Brunswickers

5 days ago
On the powwow trail: a guide to upcoming cultural events across New Brunswick

On the powwow trail: a guide to upcoming cultural events across New Brunswick

5 days ago

Photos: Palestinian beekeeper resumes work amid Israeli destruction of Gaza Strip

13 hours ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate