• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Energy

NB government ‘cannot cancel’ PROENERGY contract, Holt says in response to AWI letter

by Bruce Wark
December 31, 2025
Reading Time: 3min read
Mi’gmaq chiefs say gas plant can’t proceed without Indigenous-led impact assessment

Map of the Chignecto Isthmus, where PROENERGY has proposed building a 500 MW gas plant. Screenshot: Google Maps

New Brunswick’s premier says her government “cannot cancel” the contract between NB Power and the U.S. company PROENERGY as suggested in a strongly worded letter from Barry Rothfuss, executive director of the Atlantic Wildlife Institute.

“The project is currently undergoing an Environment Impact Assessment and PROENERGY is actively collecting additional information and data to inform their application before it is fully considered by the Government of New Brunswick,” Holt writes in a December 15th letter addressed to Rothfuss and his partner Pam Novak.

“NB Power has informed us that they are committed to working with PROENERGY to support the communities near the proposed site and address any concerns being raised,” she adds.

The premier was responding to a letter from Rothfuss sent more than three months earlier on September 2 urging her to stop the project.

“It is simply unwanted, detrimental to the Isthmus and health of those of us that live here, and it should not be forced on our community,” he wrote.

‘Repair relationships’

The Rothfuss letter accuses Holt of falsely claiming, during a CBC Radio appearance in August, that the project would be co-owned by First Nations in New Brunswick.

“It is now public record that this statement was not true. Instead, the actual status of this project is that it is a NB Power investment, via contract, in an American natural gas and diesel facility… centered in one of the most ecologically and culturally important corridors in our province,” his letter continues.

Holt responds by saying her government was provided with the same information the public received when the project was announced in July.

“We have since been made aware of the lack of official partnership agreement between PROENERGY and its Indigenous partners,” she writes, adding, “NB Power and PROENERGY are actively working to rectify the situation and repair relationships with the Indigenous community.”

‘Greenwash’

“NB Power and PROENERGY’s efforts to try and label this project as ‘renewable’ to make it sound ‘green’ rings hollow,” Rothfuss writes. “Instead, it replicates a classic strategy to ‘Greenwash’ while manipulating our Indigenous community in the process.”

Holt responds by pointing to the need for more “clean energy,” but writes that the “variable nature” of wind and solar requires ” firm baseload power” to fill the gaps.

“Until utility-scale battery, small modular reactors and sustainable supplies of renewable natural gas become affordable options for baseload power generation, natural gas is the least emissions intensive fossil fuel option available during the energy transition,” she writes, adding that “overall emissions” from other fossil fuel generating stations such as Coleson Cove are anticipated to decrease as the gas plant replaces them.

Holt writes that NB Power has identified a potential shortfall “in generation capacity forecast for 2028 due to accelerating electricity demand in the province…It is essential NB Power take the necessary steps now to secure additional capacity to ensure New Brunswickers have the power they need, when they need it.”

She ends her letter by reminding Rothfuss again that the “gas plant has not been approved” as it is undergoing a “provincial determination review” that “will lead to a decision from the Minister of Environment and Climate Change.”

To read Holt’s letter, click here.

To read the Rothfuss letter, click here.

Bruce Wark worked in broadcasting and journalism education for more than 35 years. He was at CBC Radio for nearly 20 years as senior editor of network programs such as The World at Six and World Report. He currently writes for The New Wark Times, where a version of this story first appeared on December 29, 2025.

Tags: Bruce WarkChignecto Isthmusclean energygas plantIndigenous rightsnatural gasNB PowerNew BrunswickPROENERGYSusan Holt
Send

Related Posts

EUB hears conflicting testimony on proposed gas plant
Energy

EUB hears conflicting testimony on proposed gas plant

February 15, 2026

New Brunswick’s Energy and Utilities Board heard expert testimony on February 12 about battery energy storage systems (BESS) from Toby...

NB Power reluctant to say how much Isthmus gas plant would cost
Energy

NB Power reluctant to say how much Isthmus gas plant would cost

February 13, 2026

About 20 demonstrators chanting, “Hey, Hey, Ho, Ho, the gas plant has got to go,” marched outside the Moncton hotel...

Energy

Over 120 scientists and academics say ‘no’ to Tantramar shale gas plant

February 8, 2026

We are over 120 scientists and academics from all four universities in New Brunswick (Université de Moncton, University of New...

Célébrez le 15e anniversaire de la Coop Média NB. Devenez membre de votre coopérative de médias locale
Articles en français

120 universitaires disent non à la centrale au gaz de schiste de Tantramar

February 8, 2026

Nous sommes plus de 120 universitaires des quatre universités du Nouveau-Brunswick (Mount Allison University, Université de Moncton, University of New...

Load More

Recommended

EUB hears conflicting testimony on proposed gas plant

EUB hears conflicting testimony on proposed gas plant

4 days ago
‘The ice is getting thinner’: Climate change shortens ice fishing season, threatening tradition

‘The ice is getting thinner’: Climate change shortens ice fishing season, threatening tradition

8 hours ago
NB Power reluctant to say how much Isthmus gas plant would cost

NB Power reluctant to say how much Isthmus gas plant would cost

6 days ago
Exterior of a Havana building featuring a large portrait of Fidel Castro next to a "MUJERES en REVOLUCIÓN" (Women in Revolution) banner. A green fern sits on the balcony in the foreground.

Cuba, the embargo and Donald Trump: a story of resistance amid imperial encirclement

3 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate