• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Energy

NB Power barred from raising rates in April

But regulator's decision likely only delays higher bill payments by a few months, as the panel weighs more evidence

by John Chilibeck, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter
March 10, 2026
Reading Time: 4min read
NB Power barred from raising rates in April

A three-member panel of the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board has rejected NB Power's plea for an interim rate increase to electricity bills on April 1. Photo by John Chilibeck/Brunswick News

NB Power won’t be allowed to impose a steep interim rate hike to electricity prices on April 1.

The New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board rejected the stopgap request for a 4.75 per cent increase Monday morning as the first order of business in a hearing to decide if the rate should rise sometime later this year.

The board also dismissed NB Power’s plea to impose a special charge, or rate rider, on the bills of more than 400,000 customers, both residential and commercial, dating back to April 1 if it eventually gets the green light to raise prices later in 2026.

The decision does not mean prices won’t go up. With the timing of the hearing, it’s more likely now that any changes to bills for all customer classes won’t happen till June or July, giving them a temporary reprieve.

Christopher Stewart, the board’s chairman, gave the three-member panel’s oral ruling at the Fredericton Convention Centre.

“The motion is denied,” Stewart said, as two high-powered executives of the public utility and several intervenors looked on. “The board has held that it should exercise its discretion to grant such relief requests only in exceptional circumstances.”

The lawyer said the panel had made its decision based on a landmark ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada in 1989, when Bell Canada fought for and won interim rate increases that had been denied by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

The nation’s top court set up three criteria for winning interim rate increases, which must be granted only in emergency situations.

They include a significant delay in a rate decision, a harmful effect on a company’s finances, and the regulator’s own discretion.

Stewart said while it was true his board wouldn’t decide on rates for several months, which would have a “deleterious” effect on NB Power’s finances, the Crown corporation had only itself to blame for the big delay.

Christopher Stewart, chairman of the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board, tells NB Power executives and intervenors that his panel would only accept interim rate hikes in exceptional circumstances or emergencies. Screenshot via NBEUB/CESPNB YouTube

NB Power applied last October to have its general rate application heard in February, which the board granted. But on Nov. 17, it asked for the proceedings to be bumped in favour of a hearing to decide if its proposed gas plant, worth more than $1 billion, should be built in Tantramar. That hearing went ahead in February.

NB Power prioritized the gas plant hearings because it had signed a contract with ProEnergy of Missouri to build and run the new facility with specific deadlines. Its contract for the RIGS project originally stated that regulatory approval was needed by April 1, or the deal was off.

NB Power’s lawyer Leanne Murray said last week in a special hearing that it was like making a choice “between your children.” But the board chairman said that wasn’t enough to convince the panel that RIGS was a bigger priority than the general rate application.

Murray had made the case for energy security, stating the utility feared running out of enough power generation, given population growth, and RIGS was essential for meeting that increased demand by 2028.

Stewart, however, pointed out that NB Power had made a business decision to sign a contract with an April 1 cutoff. He suggested the public utility had only itself to blame for running out of time and asking to switch the hearing dates.

Shelley Petit, chairperson of the New Brunswick Coalition of Persons with Disabilities, praised the panel’s decision.

“On behalf of the 35.3 per cent of New Brunswick residents with a disability, the bulk of whom live in deep energy poverty already, we were pleased to see that the board denied interim rates as well as the rate rider,” she said. “The lack of accountability to New Brunswick residents by the utility needs to stop. We are pleased with this first step.”

The public intervenor for the energy sector, Alain Chiasson, did not take a stance on the interim rate request, but the panel noted that the evidence his office had filed for the general rate application disputed some of NB Power’s evidence. Without the benefit of a full hearing, it would be wrong, Stewart said, to prematurely charge customers more, even if they could be credited back later should NB Power fail to make its case.

NB Power said regardless of the decision, it remained committed to providing safe, reliable electricity for New Brunswickers and managing rising costs.

“While we are disappointed with the outcome, NB Power respects the important role of the regulator in ensuring a fair and transparent process,” said spokeswoman Elizabeth Fraser. “We will continue to fully participate in the regulatory process as our general rate application moves forward.”

Randy Hatfield, the executive director of the Human Development Council, has pushed hard against rate increases. Electricity prices in the province have already gone up 23 per cent in the last three years.

Last week, the council released a report stating that one in four households that heat primarily with electricity in New Brunswick suffer from energy poverty, that is, they spend more than six per cent of their pre-tax income on power bills. As many as one in seven customers are behind on their NB Power bill payments.

While Hatfield welcomed the board’s ruling, he warned that it would only give people a temporary break.

“The board clearly thought that NB Power did not meet the legal test for the increase. In any event, it puts things out by a couple of months. That’s about it.”

John Chilibeck is a Local Journalism Initiative Reporter for the Daily Gleaner. This article originally appeared in the Telegraph-Journal on March 9, 2026 and a version of it was republished by The New Wark Times on March 9, 2026.

Tags: electricity ratesenergy povertyJohn ChilibeckNB PowerNew Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board
Send

Related Posts

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants
Energy

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

May 20, 2026

A spokesman for the environmental advocacy group Living Ecosystems and Power (LEAP) says he’s not surprised that the federal agency...

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence
Environment

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

May 15, 2026

New Brunswick environmental activists are reacting with alarm to Prime Minister Carney’s announcement of a National Electricity Strategy that promotes...

A group of protesters walk down a wet road under umbrellas. In the foreground, a person wears a large, brown, sculpted moose head mascot. A man in an orange safety vest and hat reaches out to pet the moose head.
Energy

‘We were left in the dark’: Protesters challenge $3.5 billion Tantramar gas plant

May 4, 2026

About 60 protesters, including a moose mascot, gathered in the driving rain last Friday for a May Day rally at...

Protesters rally in Sackville as environmental award goes to gas plant opponents
Energy

Protesters rally in Sackville as environmental award goes to gas plant opponents

April 24, 2026

“Hey, hey USA take your plant and go away,” about 40 demonstrators chanted as they marched across Sackville’s main intersection...

Load More

Recommended

NB Update: What comes after the crisis in local journalism? [video]

NB Update: Minneapolis migrant justice activist on the fight against ICE | Federal health cuts hit refugees, asylum seekers | and more

6 days ago
Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

2 days ago
‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

6 days ago
‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

1 day ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate