• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Energy

Opponents of NB Power gas/diesel plant applaud EUB ruling

by Bruce Wark
October 20, 2025
Reading Time: 3min read
Tantramar MLA Megan Mitton standing and speaking to the public, wearing a dark grey blazer and gesturing with her hand.

Tantramar MLA Megan Mitton. Photo: Bruce Wark

Tantramar MLA Megan Mitton says she’s relieved that the province’s Energy and Utilities Board has ruled that it does have jurisdiction to review NB Power’s plan to build a 500 MW gas and diesel plant near Centre Village.

“I’m certainly relieved that there is another process NB Power has to go through and that the EUB will be reviewing it and ideally see what a terrible plan it is,” she adds.

“This isn’t a charity project and it’s going to be very expensive for New Brunswickers who are going to be on the hook for more than a billion dollars.”

Under the provincial electricity act, NB Power is required to apply to the EUB for review and approval of capital projects over $50 million.

But, during EUB hearings last month, NB Power lawyer John Furey said that the law doesn’t apply because the American company PROENERGY would be taking on the financial risks of building and operating the plant.

Therefore, he argued, the plant would be PROENERGY’s capital project, not NB Power’s.

Today, the EUB firmly rejected his argument, ruling that the proposed gas plant would be an NB Power capital project and therefore, the board has jurisdiction to satisfy itself that the project is financially prudent before approving it.

Moe Qureshi of the Conservation Council of New Brunswick says he’s pleased with the EUB ruling.

Moe Qureshi testifying before a legislative committee in 2023, seated and speaking into a microphone. Screenshot from the New Brunswick Legislative Assembly webcast“I feel good about it because the project will be getting a review and there’s going to be more transparency and more discussion about the financial prudence of this project,” he said in a telephone interview.

“So for us, you know, this is a win for accountability. NB Power rates are going up again and we want to make sure that any project that’s being proposed, whether we agree with it or not, needs to be reviewed.”

At the same time he says, it’s too bad that the EUB will only be looking at finances and not the potential environmental effects of a fossil-fuel-burning generating plant on the Chignecto Isthmus.

He points out that, under new legislation, Nova Scotia’s Energy Board is required to consider environmental effects and climate change in its decisions.

Megan Mitton agrees that the EUB should be doing that too.

“We actually had experts come to hearings two years ago and some of them gave really great recommendations about legislative changes we could make including improving the mandate of the EUB,” she says.

Meantime, John Chilibeck, local journalism initiative reporter for Brunswick News writes that an NB Power spokeswoman said the utility respected the EUB decision.

“We are prepared to file evidence in support of this project,” Elizabeth Fraser wrote in an email to Brunswick News.

For CBC coverage, click here.

Bruce Wark worked in broadcasting and journalism education for more than 35 years. He was at CBC Radio for nearly 20 years as senior editor of network programs such as The World at Six and World Report. He currently writes for The New Wark Times, where a version of this story first appeared on October 16, 2025.

Tags: 500 MW gas plantChignecto IsthmusConservation Council of New BrunswickEUBgas plantMegan MittonNB PowerPROENERGY
Send

Related Posts

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence
Environment

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

May 15, 2026

New Brunswick environmental activists are reacting with alarm to Prime Minister Carney’s announcement of a National Electricity Strategy that promotes...

A group of protesters walk down a wet road under umbrellas. In the foreground, a person wears a large, brown, sculpted moose head mascot. A man in an orange safety vest and hat reaches out to pet the moose head.
Energy

‘We were left in the dark’: Protesters challenge $3.5 billion Tantramar gas plant

May 4, 2026

About 60 protesters, including a moose mascot, gathered in the driving rain last Friday for a May Day rally at...

Protesters rally in Sackville as environmental award goes to gas plant opponents
Energy

Protesters rally in Sackville as environmental award goes to gas plant opponents

April 24, 2026

“Hey, hey USA take your plant and go away,” about 40 demonstrators chanted as they marched across Sackville’s main intersection...

Energy

Could a new nuclear reactor double or triple electricity rates in New Brunswick?

April 13, 2026

At the end of March, the NB Power Review Panel report recommended considering building a new large nuclear reactor at the...

Load More

Recommended

NB Update: What comes after the crisis in local journalism? [video]

NB Update: Minneapolis migrant justice activist on the fight against ICE | Federal health cuts hit refugees, asylum seekers | and more

3 days ago
‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

3 days ago
City councillor Veronique Arsenault wins decisive victory in Miramichi mayoral race

City councillor Veronique Arsenault wins decisive victory in Miramichi mayoral race

6 days ago
Des manifestants brandissent des pancartes avec les messages « No human is illegal », « ICE out now » et « Stay away from my neighbors » lors d'un rassemblement contre l'ICE au centre-ville de Minneapolis.

Les entreprises canadiennes et ICE

4 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate