• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Housing

Affordable housing target ‘not enough’ to significantly reduce waitlist, says researcher

Holt government will add '1,760 affordable housing units' by 2029: Speech from the Throne

by David Gordon Koch
October 22, 2025
Reading Time: 4min read
Affordable housing target ‘not enough’ to significantly reduce waitlist, says researcher

St. Stephen Mayor Allan MacEachern (left) and David Hickey, minister responsible for the New Brunswick Housing Corporation are pictured outside a new public housing development in August 2025. Photo: gnb.ca

Plans for affordable housing construction announced in this week’s Speech from the Throne won’t be enough to make a serious dent in New Brunswick’s subsidized housing waitlist, according to a researcher at the University of New Brunswick.

The province plans to add “a total of 1,760 affordable housing units” by 2029, according to the speech delivered at the Legislature on Tuesday by Lt.-Gov. Louise Imbeault.

It’s an apparent reference to subsidized housing units, where tenants generally pay rent amounting to 30 per cent of household income.

The government started 320 units this year and another 430 are planned for 2026, according to the throne speech.

“It’s not enough,” said Julia Woodhall-Melnik, an associate professor in the Department of Social Science at UNB and Canada Research Chair in Resilient Communities.

She’s a housing policy expert and founder of the Housing, Mobilization and Engagement Research Lab at UNB Saint John.

UNB prof Julia Woodhall-Melnik. Photo: unb.ca

Until recently, no new public housing whatsoever had been built since the early 1980s, so any government investment is a “massive improvement,” she said. “But will it meet the demand and need of the waitlist? No.”

It’s unclear how the government arrived at the 1,760 figure. It might indicate the number of units that officials believe can be built with available construction resources, or with a certain designated budget, for example.

In any case, “there will not be enough movement to significantly shorten the NB Housing waitlist this decade,” Woodhall-Melnik said.

A spokesperson for NB Housing said that number will include units owned and operated by the provincial Crown corporation and others that become available through the Affordable Rental Housing Program.

That program provides financial assistance — in the form of a forgivable loan — to private businesses, non-profits and co-operatives for “construction, repair and conversion of rental housing projects,” according to a government website.

It’s a rent-geared-to-income program, meaning that tenants will pay 30 per cent of their household income for rent, like with NB Housing units.

13,000 households on waitlist

François Boutot, CEO of the New Brunswick Housing Corporation, recently told a legislative committee that the waitlist for public housing now stands at more than 13,000 households.

That list increased more than twofold in recent years, from more than 5,700 households in 2021. NB Housing reportedly manages about 4,500 housing units.

Even if Premier Susan Holt’s government follows through with the construction of 1,760 units — and repairs older ones that are currently vacant — about 11,000 households will remain on the waitlist. That is, if it doesn’t keep growing.

“We would have to see considerable turnover and movement from public housing into market housing in order for the entire wait list to be stably housed,” Woodhall-Melnik said.

New Brunswick has witnessed dramatic rent increases over the past five years, combined with low vacancy rates, reduced stocks of low-priced rental units, and growing populations of homeless people.

Roughly eight-and-a-half minutes of the throne speech, which lasted about an hour, were dedicated to affordability, housing, homelessness issues.

Vacancy control

After coming to power in last year’s provincial elections, the Holt government soon fulfilled a major campaign promise by implementing a three per cent rent cap. That policy is slated to remain in place next year and will be reviewed annually, according to the throne speech.

Woodhall-Melnik noted that the provincial government has other policy options at its disposal to curtail the loss of affordable housing. Examples include vacancy control, which would limit landlords’ ability to increase rent when units are vacant.

Developers in the private market could also be mandated to include a certain number of “deeply affordable” units in new builds, she said, either through rental subsidies from the government — or simply by making below-market rent a requirement for a certain number of units.

Besides those options, she called for more ambitious public housing construction, saying the units could be built either by NB Housing or by the community housing sector, which is made up of non-profits and co-operatives.

In either case, she said, the province is “going to have to build deeply affordable units faster if we’re going to make our way through the wait list.”

‘Trickle-down’ theory

The throne speech also noted the Holt government’s efforts to spur housing construction more generally, including the elimination of provincial HST for new multi-unit residential construction.

But Woodhall-Melnik cautioned against what she called “trickle-down housing affordability,” also called “filtering theory.”

The idea is that an increased supply of new housing on the private market will make older units more affordable, as higher-income people vacate older homes.

In practice, the theory doesn’t hold in New Brusnwick because “for the most part, we don’t have high-income renters,” she said.

The median household income for renters is about $45,000 per year, she said, adding that most people who move into higher income brackets choose to purchase their homes.

This story was updated at 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 23, 2025. 

David Gordon Koch is a journalist with the NB Media Co-op. This reporting has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada via the Local Journalism Initiative.

Tags: David Gordon Kochhousinghousing crisisJulia Woodhall-MelnikMobilization and Engagement Research Lab
Send

Related Posts

NB Update: What comes after the crisis in local journalism? [video]
Videos

NB Update: Minneapolis migrant justice activist on the fight against ICE | Federal health cuts hit refugees, asylum seekers | and more

May 15, 2026

On this edition of the NB Update, we focus on issues affecting immigrants, migrants and refugees. They have faced a...

Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]
Economy

Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]

May 13, 2026

A federal government proposal to privatize Canada's publicly-owned airports has been met with pushback from critics who say it will...

City councillor Veronique Arsenault wins decisive victory in Miramichi mayoral race
New Brunswick

City councillor Veronique Arsenault wins decisive victory in Miramichi mayoral race

May 12, 2026

City councillor Veronique Arsenault won a decisive victory in the race for mayor of Miramichi in Monday's local government elections,...

Updated: Miramichi mayoral candidates talk housing, economic development and more [video]
Videos

Updated: Miramichi mayoral candidates talk housing, economic development and more [video]

May 5, 2026

On Monday evening, four candidates running for mayor of Miramichi took part in a live debate hosted by the NB...

Load More

Recommended

Protesters hold signs reading "No races only humans, where's your humanity" and "Profit over people will kill us all" at a nighttime rally against ICE in Minneapolis.

Canada must clamp down on corporate ties to ICE

6 days ago
Des manifestants brandissent des pancartes avec les messages « No human is illegal », « ICE out now » et « Stay away from my neighbors » lors d'un rassemblement contre l'ICE au centre-ville de Minneapolis.

Les entreprises canadiennes et ICE

6 days ago
Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

22 hours ago
‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

5 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate