• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Environment

Lorneville residents speak out against industrial park expansion at marathon public hearing [video]

by David Gordon Koch and Lucas Reynolds
May 16, 2025
Reading Time: 4min read
Lorneville residents speak out against industrial park expansion at marathon public hearing [video]

Saint John City Council held a marathon five-hour public hearing on May 12, 2025 over plans to expand an industrial park near Saint John. The public hearing continues on Tuesday. Screengrab: City of Saint John/YouTube

A public hearing over controversial plans to expand an industrial park near Saint John spanned five hours, as city councillors heard passionate opposition from area residents. 

The NB Media Co-op combed through hours of footage of the public hearing to produce a reel of highlights. 

People from the “Save Lorneville” campaign say the project will cause environmental damage including the destruction of forests and wetlands and threaten their residential well water.

The City of Saint John has said the project will create jobs in a city vulnerable to American tariffs, and has stated that it’s focussing on “green and clean economic” sectors.

The city has introduced changes to the plan including larger setbacks from homes. But those changes failed to satisfy the overflow crowd that showed up on Monday to oppose the project. 

Residents voice opposition

Lorneville resident Ashley Anthony suggested that the expansion will turn Lorneville into a “sacrifice zone.” 

“What about seven years from now?” Anthony asked. “What about the children that are going to grow up in Lorneville? How is this not setting Lorneville up to be a sacrifice zone?”

Another resident, Sherri Colwell-McCavour, rejected assurances that most of the occupants won’t involve heavy industrial uses. 

City staff have indicated that some heavy industry will be allowed, but certain activities will be banned, such as oil refineries or cement plants. That was cold comfort to Colwell-McCavour.

“I’m sorry, but the door is wide open for heavy industrial use,” she said. 

Don Alexander spoke “from the heart,” telling councillors “you’re the only hope for saving these wetlands.”

Another resident said that “living in Lorneville should not be a generational fight for survival,” a reference to earlier struggles over industrial development in the area. 

“What other community has to fight generation after generation just to secure clean air, water, and a safe place to live?“

The hearing was adjourned at 11 p.m. and will continue on Tuesday. 

Since then, a flurry of activity has taken place ahead of the contentious vote, which is expected to take place following the second part of the public hearing.

Councillor cites environmental planning, jobs

At least one city councillor indicated that he was leaning towards approving the project but that he was undecided. 

Councillor-at-large Brent Harris wrote in a blog post that concerns of Lorneville residents are valid but he also cited what he called “unprecedented levels of zoning restrictions and environmental planning” for the project.

He also pointed to the need for jobs. “I believe that meaningful work—secure, well-paid, future-focused work — matters. It uplifts families. It restores dignity. And it gives us the means to build the green, equitable, sustainable society we all want,” he wrote. 

Still, the co-founder of the Saint John Tool Library said he hadn’t made a final decision. “I remain open to being convinced,” he said. 

Wolostoq Grand Chief opposes project

Wolastoq Grand Chief Ron Tremblay — also known as Spasaqit Possesom or morningstar burning — issued an open letter on Friday opposing the project, citing Indigenous title. 

“First and foremost, the area in which the proposed extension is on our original Homeland near Menahqesk (St. John), and we as original citizens were never consulted or even advised of the proposed work,” he wrote.

Free, prior and informed consent is required under the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, he added. 

He also noted the importance of wetlands as “a natural source to prevent flooding and an ecological sponge to filter anything that might harm the land and waterways.” He urged the mayor and council to reject the project. 

Integrity of hearing questioned

One Lorneville resident issued an open letter throwing into question the integrity of the hearing. Chris Watson, a researcher at the University of New Brunswick, wrote that the mayor and staff discouraged discussion of environmental matters. 

For example, he pointed to comments by Mayor Donna Reardon as the hearing kicked off. She told the crowd that “we won’t be dealing with the environment,” citing limits on the city’s jurisdiction. 

“While I understand that environmental approvals are the jurisdiction of the provincial Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) process, I am alarmed that the mayor and staff explicitly discouraged residents from raising environmental concerns that are grounded in the city of Saint John’s Municipal Plan,” he wrote.  

“This is not only procedurally questionable — I view it as legally and ethically inappropriate.”

The City of Saint John declined to comment. “Until the conclusion of the public hearing related to this item, the City will not be providing interviews or comment,” a spokesperson told the NB Media Co-op in an email. 

David Gordon Koch is a staff reporter with the NB Media Co-op.  Lucas Reynolds is a student at Mount Allison University and a summer intern at the NB Media Co-op. This reporting has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada, administered by the Canadian Association of Community Television Users and Stations (CACTUS).


Tags: Brent HarrisDavid Gordon KochDonna ReardonLucas ReynoldsSaint JohnSave LornevillewetlandsWolastoq Grand Chief Ron Tremblay
Send

Related Posts

Environment

Green Party leader warns of ‘sweeping new powers’ as Ottawa fast-tracks major projects [video]

August 20, 2026

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May has renewed criticism about the federal government’s efforts to fast-track controversial resource extraction projects. Watch...

Student accepted into UNB grad program remains trapped in Gaza one year after applying for Canadian student visa
Education

Grad student association cites ‘privacy reasons’ for silence about Palestinian scholar trapped in Gaza

July 30, 2026

The association representing grad students at the University of New Brunswick has cited "privacy reasons" for its silence about the...

New Brunswicker deported from Egypt following crackdown on March to Gaza [video]
Media

New Brunswick prof reaches settlement with National Post over ‘defamatory’ reporting about Palestine solidarity activism

July 27, 2026

A University of New Brunswick professor who travelled to Egypt last year for the Global March to Gaza has agreed...

Cybersecurity expert questions VoltaGrid’s foreign interference claim in street festival controversy
New Brunswick

Cybersecurity expert questions VoltaGrid’s foreign interference claim in street festival controversy

July 17, 2026

News that VoltaGrid — one of the companies behind a controversial data centre project — is sponsoring the annual Moonlight...

Load More

Recommended

Sean Feucht, Christian nationalism, and free speech

Sean Feucht, Christian nationalism, and free speech

1 day ago

Photos: Palestinian beekeeper resumes work amid Israeli destruction of Gaza Strip

3 days ago
Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]

Interview: Russ Diabo on changes to federal policy for adding land to First Nations reserves [video]

7 days ago
Greenland issues ‘strong warning’ after Texas oil company’s activity triggers annexation fears

Greenland issues ‘strong warning’ after Texas oil company’s activity triggers annexation fears

7 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate