• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home Education

Province floats privatization of Mount Allison University, Green MLA calls proposed cuts ‘outlandish’

by Bruce Wark
February 25, 2026
Reading Time: 3min read
Mount Allison University heading for second faculty strike in six years

Mount Allison University in Sackville, NB. Photo by Bruce Wark.

Tantramar MLA Megan Mitton is speaking out against the New Brunswick government’s suggestions for cuts to universities and colleges.

“I think the idea of privatizing Mount Allison University is just one of the many terrible ideas the Holt government is floating right now when it comes to budget cuts,” the Green MLA said on Feb. 24 in a telephone interview.

She was referring to a two-page document presented last week to New Brunswick university and college presidents that included a proposal to eliminate the provincial grant to Mount Allison University and to provide a “transition trust fund” so that it could become “an independent Canadian Premier University.”

Tantramar MLA Megan Mitton speaks out against proposed post-secondary budget cuts, including a suggestion to privatize Mount Allison University. Photo: Bruce Wark

“Not having a profit motive for post-secondary education is one of the ways that public institutions stand out,” Mitton says.

“Ideally, we would be moving to make our public institutions more accessible as is the case in other countries where there’s lower tuition and in some cases, it’s even basically free.”

No final decisions

Post-Secondary Education Minister Jean-Claude D’Amours told reporters in Fredericton on Feb. 23 that the government is seeking post-secondary budget reductions of $35-50 million, but he said repeatedly that no final decisions have been made.

The government’s document says that the province’s priority sectors are health, skilled trades, early childhood education and schooling from kindergarten to Grade 12.

“In addition, meeting the needs of the labour market remain front and centre, as well as increasing productivity, and the important role of research and innovation,” the document adds.

“We don’t need to take away from say, liberal arts education versus more vocational. We can have both,” Mitton says, adding that community colleges need public support as well.

The government document suggests closing some college campuses and merging others with universities.

“There are more than 20 campuses in New Brunswick, serving a population of 860,000,” it says. “Do we need them all?”

It also suggests reducing provincial grants for post-secondary education by 10 per cent with no tuition increases and giving student aid only to New Brunswick students.

Mitton says such steps would make things much harder for students.

“We’ve seen a long-term trend of decreasing public financing for post-secondary education quite significantly,” Mitton says.

“Students who are among the least able to be able to pick up that slack financially are the ones doing it, which translates into significant debt for these often, young people who are looking to go out into the world after school and are saddled with tens of thousands of dollars of debt.”

Short-term thinking

Mitton accuses the Holt government of engaging in short-term thinking in its pursuit of big budget cuts.

“Some of the things they’re proposing are going to have very negative impacts on our economy and our society,” she says, “especially on rural New Brunswick where they’re threatening to close smaller schools.”

Mitton says she finds some of the things in the government document “ridiculous” and “shocking.”

I would almost think that it wasn’t real because some of the things it mentions are so outlandish,” she adds.

“I’d say they really need to back away from this and take more time to really think through solutions at the table with the universities and the colleges rather than sort of springing this on everyone right before the budget’s tabled on March 17.”

To read the government document, click here.

Bruce Wark worked in broadcasting and journalism education for more than 35 years. He was at CBC Radio for nearly 20 years as senior editor of network programs such as The World at Six and World Report. He currently writes for The New Wark Times, where a version of this story first appeared on February 24, 2026.

Tags: Bruce WarkJean-Claude D’AmoursMegan MittonMount Allison Universitypost-secondary educationprivatizationSusan HoltTantramar
Send

Related Posts

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants
Energy

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

May 20, 2026

A spokesman for the environmental advocacy group Living Ecosystems and Power (LEAP) says he’s not surprised that the federal agency...

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence
Environment

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

May 15, 2026

New Brunswick environmental activists are reacting with alarm to Prime Minister Carney’s announcement of a National Electricity Strategy that promotes...

Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]
Economy

Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]

May 13, 2026

A federal government proposal to privatize Canada's publicly-owned airports has been met with pushback from critics who say it will...

A group of protesters walk down a wet road under umbrellas. In the foreground, a person wears a large, brown, sculpted moose head mascot. A man in an orange safety vest and hat reaches out to pet the moose head.
Energy

‘We were left in the dark’: Protesters challenge $3.5 billion Tantramar gas plant

May 4, 2026

About 60 protesters, including a moose mascot, gathered in the driving rain last Friday for a May Day rally at...

Load More

Recommended

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

‘Something smells’: Citizens’ group questions federal approval of Nova Scotia gas plants

1 day ago
‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

6 days ago
NB Update: What comes after the crisis in local journalism? [video]

NB Update: Minneapolis migrant justice activist on the fight against ICE | Federal health cuts hit refugees, asylum seekers | and more

6 days ago
Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

Calls for Palestinian self-determination, right to return at Nakba Day event in Moncton

2 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate