• About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Subscribe
No Result
View All Result
The Brief
NB POD
NB MEDIA CO-OP
Events
Share a story
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
  • Articles en français
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Gender
  • Politics
  • Culture
  • Videos
  • NB debrief
No Result
View All Result
NB MEDIA CO-OP
No Result
View All Result
Home *Opinion*

Conservation Council calls on NB government to not rewrite forest rules for J.D. Irving

by Tracy Glynn
May 3, 2014
Reading Time: 1min read

Fredericton – A new deal between J.D. Irving and the Government of New Brunswick tabled in late April in the Legislature sets the stage for further degradation of New Brunswick’s already endangered forest and watersheds, and effectively eliminates public input into the way public forests are managed, says the Conservation Council of New Brunswick (CCNB).

The Memorandum of Agreement, signed behind closed doors on February 7th, not only allocated much more public forest to one company, it also proposes to set up a radical new system to regulate the way it operates in the woods.

What’s shocking in the forest strategy is not only is the government allowing clearcutting in old forest, areas critical for wildlife survival and river and stream buffers, this deal is also proposing to dump standards that ensure that pockets of our endangered Acadian forest return to its natural state.

The MoA says both the government and the company want to move towards “outcome-based forestry,” instead of prescriptive rules. After years of public consultation and debate, the State of Maine adopted an outcome-based forestry model, first used by J.D. Irving in 2012. The experience of outcome-based forestry in Maine is one of deregulation for clearcutting, allowing larger clearcuts and cut backs to government monitoring.

CCNB and the NB Federation of Woodlot Owners are organizing a public “Rally for Our Forest” on Tuesday, May 13th at 12:30pm at the NB Legislature. They invite everyone who cares about the future of our forest, woodlot owners, workers and Aboriginal treaties to join the rally.

Tags: CCNBConservation Council NBforestNew Brunswick
Send

Related Posts

Rural resilience depends on the provincial veterinary system
Rural

Rural resilience depends on the provincial veterinary system

March 27, 2026

Last week, the provincial government announced the 2026-27 budget, which includes the shocking statement that the government of New Brunswick...

A medium shot of three people at an awards ceremony. On the left, Amy McLeod stands in a red floral blouse. In the center, Dr. Hanif Chatur holds a wooden trophy carved with trees and a deer. On the right, Premier Susan Holt smiles while holding the award with him.
Health

Questions remain about location of virtual care company set to sign with Holt government

March 5, 2026

As the New Brunswick government negotiates a new virtual care services contract with Foundever Group, the opposition health critic still...

Sign on a tree in Tantramar reads: "Stop the Tantramar Gas Plant. Clean air, clean water, clean energy for all."
Energy

Tantramar diesel plant is a deal New Brunswick can’t afford

February 26, 2026

New Brunswickers have been told that they’re facing a simple choice: a new gas and diesel plant in Tantramar or...

Energy

Over 120 scientists and academics say ‘no’ to Tantramar shale gas plant

February 8, 2026

We are over 120 scientists and academics from all four universities in New Brunswick (Université de Moncton, University of New...

Load More

Recommended

NB Update: What comes after the crisis in local journalism? [video]

NB Update: Minneapolis migrant justice activist on the fight against ICE | Federal health cuts hit refugees, asylum seekers | and more

4 days ago
Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]

Worsened conditions and higher fees? Finance minister calls airport privatization concerns ‘premature’ [video]

6 days ago
‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

‘He kept us in the dark’: Activists attack Carney’s power strategy and LeBlanc’s silence

4 days ago
Protesters hold signs reading "No races only humans, where's your humanity" and "Profit over people will kill us all" at a nighttime rally against ICE in Minneapolis.

Canada must clamp down on corporate ties to ICE

5 days ago
NB Media Co-op

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Share a Story
  • Calendar
  • Archives

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Join the Co-op / Donate
  • Contact
  • Events
  • Share a Story
  • NB POD
  • COVID-19
  • Videos
  • New Brunswick
  • Canada
  • World
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Indigenous
  • Labour
  • Politics
  • Rural

© 2019 NB Media Co-op. All rights reserved.

X
Did you like this article? Support the NB Media Co-op! Vous avez aimé cet article ? Soutenez la Coop Média NB !
Join/Donate